Batsari Local Government Development Forum (BALDF), on Monday, dismissed Nigerian military comments after bandits’ attack on Yar Gamji village last week.
They said the assailants had a field day killing 18 villagers and escaped unchallenged.
Coordinator of the Defence Media Operations (DMO), Maj. Gen. John Enenche, told the media that troops responded swiftly to the incident.
“The troops engaged the criminals, thereby neutralizing 46 bandits in the encounter, while others escaped with gun shots wounds,” he noted.
Responding, BALDF chairman, Sani Muslim, noted that “nothing could be further than the truth”.
He said that it was misleading for the military to claim that soldiers eliminated the bandits and insisted none was killed.
Muslim advised authorities to always back up their claims with relevant footage and photographs.
“We thank the security agencies for their sacrifices in ensuring that peace reigns in Batsari Local Government and Katsina State for socio-economic activities to thrive.
“However, a lot more needs to be done, especially in intelligence gathering and quick offensive action against the bandits who have made life very unbearable for us”, he said.
Mohammed Muazu, the District Head of Batsari, bemoaned that renewed attacks have instilled fear in everyone.
He lamented that people no longer go to the farms like they used to do.
Muazu regretted that hundreds of people have been murdered, adding that people sleep with one eye open.
“We know the government is trying its best but we appeal to them to do more. Farming only takes place in four villages in the whole of the council. Because of the deaths, we now have 500 widows and 1,600 orphans”, Muazu said.