On Sunday, November 1, 2020, fighters of Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) raided Takulashi Village in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State, Northeast Nigeria, killed and destroyed property.
Local sources said a full assessment of the situation was being made but added that insurgents might have killed no fewer than 12 persons and abducted five others.
A local leader told the BBC that the attackers entered Takulasi in vehicles and killed 10 villagers and two civilian joint task force members.
The attackers loaded food supplies onto four vehicles they took from the village and burnt four others they were unable to take with them, according to the source.
The source added that the insurgents set the rest of the supplies they could not take on fire.
“We will have to wait till everybody is back to know if there were any fatalities in the attack,” Ayuba Chibok, a community leader in Chibok, told AFP.
“We are making contacts with the residents who fled to locations where there is a phone network.
“We thought the worst had happened after Boko Haram rustled over 200 cattle in the village on Friday,” Ayuba said.
On Monday, ISWAP claimed responsibility for the Sunday attack.
In 2014, Boko Haram insurgents abducted 276 schoolgirls from the dormitory of the Government School, Chibok. One hundred and seven of the girls have so far been released or escaped but several others are still unaccounted for.
The decade-long violence in Northeast Nigeria by Boko Haram and its splinter faction has killed 36,000 people and displaced over two million from their homes, according to the United Nations.