Cholera killed no fewer than 204 persons, led to the hospitalisation of 2,551 in 20 Kebbi local government areas, a NAN investigation revealed.
On Wednesday, it was gathered from an official of the Kebbi Ministry of Health, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, that the first deaths were recorded in Diri Daji in Sakaba and had since spread to 20 LGAs.
“We have been badly affected by the recent cholera outbreak. But we thank God people are now recovering, and the death is not as much as in other areas of the state,” another source said.
When contacted, the Chief Medical Director of Sir Yahaya Memorial Hospital, Aminu Haliru-Bunza, confirmed that at least 2,208 affected patients had been hospitalised across 20 LGAs.
“Out of the 21 local government areas, 20 have now been affected by the contagious disease. Test carried out showed that 2,208 persons had been tested in those areas, while 146 persons have so far died since the outbreak of the disease,” said Mr Haliru-Bunza. “The figure cuts across all sexes and no specific age bracket, as all ages are affected.”
Mr Haliru-Bunza, who disclosed that the outbreak was caused by contamination due to micro bacteria, advised the residents to improve their hygiene, environmental sanitation, and cleanness.
According to him, the Kebbi government is taking steps to contain the spread of the disease, disclosing that the government has provided equipment and drugs to local councils.
“We have surveillance officers and camps to isolate people as the disease is highly infectious,” he said.
Mr Haliru-Bunza also called on health personnel to avoid rendering home services to suspected cases, urging people to report cases to the nearest health facilities across the state.