The Kebbi Epidemic Rapid Response Team says 146 people died following a cholera outbreak in the state.
The leader of the team and permanent secretary at the health ministry, Aminu Haliru-Bunza, disclosed this when the team briefed Governor Atiku Bagudu and Deputy Governor Samaila Yombe-Dabai, on the cholera outbreak.
On Thursday, the team met the governor and his deputy at the Council Chambers of Government House, Birnin Kebbi.
Mr Haliru-Bunza, the chief medical director of Sir Yahaya Memorial Hospital, Birnin Kebbi, said 2,208 cases of diarrhoea and vomiting had been reported between January and August.
These cases occurred in 20 out of 21 local government areas, out of which 55 samples were tested, and 26 turned out positive.
“A total of 146 deaths have been reported across the state. However, the team clarified that for cholera, a single confirmed case is termed as an outbreak (epidemic) of cholera in an area,” he noted.
While calling on the public to observe personal and environmental hygiene, the team advised people to avoid open defecation.
The meeting also emphasised the need for inter-sectoral collaboration among stakeholders.
The executive secretary of the Kebbi Primary Healthcare Agency, Abubakar Kaoje, was in the team that briefed the governor.