The police command in Kaduna has confirmed the abduction of the Emir of Bungudu from Zamfara, Hassan Atto, and several travellers along the Kaduna-Abuja highway.
Police spokesman Mohammed Jalige disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday in Kaduna.
“Today, September 14, at about 3.10 p.m., the Kaduna police command received a tragic report of an attack and kidnapping incident around Dutse village along the Kaduna-Abuja road,” said the statement. “An unspecified number of people were suspected to have been kidnapped, while two others sustained varying degrees of injuries and are currently receiving medical treatment.”
It added that “the Emir of Bungudu, Zamfara State, His Royal Highness Alhaji Hassan Atto,” was among the people abducted to an “unknown destination.”
The police command further stated that the bandits “intercepted the commuters, who fired shots at random before abducting their victims.”
It said operatives of the command were dispatched to restore normalcy in the area, resulting in which an officer paid the supreme price.
The police added that it recovered four vehicles from the scene but said they could give the exact number of persons kidnapped.
Meanwhile, the statement stated that a police reinforcement team had been dispatched to the area to rescue the victims unhurt.