Manchester United board have decided to fire Ole Gunnar Solskajer as manager after a humiliating 4-1 defeat away to Watford on Saturday.
Authoritative sports journalist Fabrizio Romano Sunday morning said “it’s over” for Ole at Manchester United.
“Manchester United board decision to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjær has been also approved by Glazer. It’s over. #MUFC” Romano tweeted. “Official statement in place, mutual agreement reached to respect Ole and part ways.
Fletcher-Carrick now ready as interim solution if no instant solution is found.”
An emergency virtual board meeting had been called by the Glazer family, the club’s proprietors, during the second half of the Saturday match and within the talks, which started at about 7:00 p.m. tonight, the group managing director, Richard Arnold, was instructed to negotiate the precise terms of Solskajer’s departure, People’s Gazette learnt.
It is believed that it would cost United about £7.5 million in severance pay to end his three-year tenure.
Solskjaer signed a new contract in August but his deal is understood to include a one-season compensation payment should he be sacked.
Club officials have also been told to speed up attempts to persuade Zinedine Zidane to take charge of the club.
Ole took over from Jose Mourinho in December 2018 and has since coached Man Utd team in 166 games – win 91, draws-36 loss -39.